Saturday, April 11, 2009

Paperless Buisness Cards?

I spent almost 8 weeks last fall creating a personal business card. I even applied for a small grant from my fellowship to cover the expense. I meticulously conceptualized and designed a personal logo that now looking back at seems amazingly simple and straightforward.




I then deliberated over titles, contact information, and mindless details like paperweight, rounded corners, and plastic cards. I finally received the cards late in the fall only to have my internship issue me company cards in January! I think my family members were the only lucky recipients of my wonderful creation and they haven’t taken it out of their wallets since. Oy!

I consult for multiple organizations and since January I’ve been pushed to hand out cards like candy at my hometown alumni day parade. While I’m excited that my brand seems strong enough for people to want me to represent them, how do I go my own direction? In true consulting fashion, should different people get different cards? And to take it one step further, I question whether business cards are really a viable gauge for personal branding now that we’re all trying to go paperless and facebook has become a verb—as in “just facebook me.”

As more and more employers and colleagues become involved with various social http://www.agileapproach.com/blog-entry/poke-moderation-tips-social-networking-etiquette networks, I find myself checking LinkedIn, Facebook, and even Twitter before I head to a new client meeting. I’m assuming they are doing the same. So, with the potential for social networking profiles to eventually eliminate the traditional business card and act as a candidate contact and screening process (whether you authorize it or not); personal brand management, especially in the virtual realm, is becoming essential.

The US economy is volatile, unemployment is reaching record-breaking highs, and competition is intense. So, with so much going on, just how much time am I supposed spend focusing precious brainpower on how and when to poke, tweet, and ping my colleagues?

6 comments:

  1. Its quite impressive to see employers also get on these social networking networks, although there's some level of risk for individuals in creating some negative personal brand on these sites. For instance, a lot of individuals portray a different personality on these networking sites, especially the fun-intent ones like Facebook and MySpace. Such individuals would therefore choose not to share information in their personal life with employers or any other work-related individuals.
    I personally would do the same. I can only add really close buddies from work to my facebook or other 'fun-creating' social networking sites. However,I hold no fears in adding employers to the more professional ones like LinkedIn to serve as a form of contact/business card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some cultures find the exchange of business cards to be a great ritual and part of business etiquette. I don't think the linkedin's eliminate the need for business cards. Too often, e-mail is used for thank you notes these days. It is a great way to respond, but when it comes to business, a hand-written note shows that you have taken that extra step in putting a personal touch on the matter.

    Why not have a business card with the link to your social network profile just like you should have your e-mail address? Then the business card becomes a conduit to getting more out of the network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. Bolt Posts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I discovered your blog per Google bit searching for such kinda educational advise moreover your inform beholds very remarkable for me. 레플리카쇼핑몰

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lot to occur over your amazing blog. Your blog procures me a fantastic transaction of enjoyable.. Salubrious lot beside the scene. 부산더그랜드룸

    ReplyDelete
  6. Find the best essays on is my friend's profile page. 롤대리

    ReplyDelete